The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Meelo

Anonymous
Jun 3, 2012 4:04:57 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 3, 2012 4:04:57 GMT -6

MEELO

Special Abilities: Airbending
Possible Spoilers? Yes (minor)

Why do you think you'd be a good player for this character?
I am a casual player and prefer more laid back characters to the intense or overly serious ones. I have played as all kinds of different personalities and like to stretch as a writer (if I could be called such) by using various types of personalities, but the simple chaotic childishness of Meelo's character appeals to my sense of humour and the way that I like to write. It would also be a great opportunity for me to write from the point of view of a child, which is not something I have done and would love to have the chance to try.

Please describe your understanding of this character's personality.
As a young child, Meelo is very honest and blunt with his opinions and feelings as he has yet to learn subtly in such matters. If there is something he wants to do then he does it and if there is something he wants to have he will take it, rarely thinking of the consequences of his actions or how it will effect how people see him. Unlike the calm and collected examples set by his father and older sister, Meelo creates chaos wherever he goes, his overly energetic and sporadic personality complimenting the way he uses his Airbending while frustrating those closest to him.

Despite these traits, he is well loved by his family and he returns that love in his own... special way. He often plays with his two sisters and is quite detached from everything else except those within his own little world, caring little for politics or world events. He has little to no respect for any authority figure with the possible exception of his parents (and even so, just barely), living carefree and independent from the rules of society and with little understanding of the concept of peoples' personal boundaries.

In your own words, please write your character's history, taking into account the site plot.
Meelo is the third child and only son of Tenzin, Avatar Aang's son, and his wife Pema. He was raised on Air Temple Island and trained from a very young age to use Airbending. He does not leave the island much due to his young age, but has often wandered away to explore his home much to the annoyance of his parents.

More recently, Meelo has travelled with his family to and fro from a compound in the North Pole so that his father could meet and converse with the new Avatar, Korra. He and his sisters grew quite fond of Korra and, when she went against his father's orders to stay in the compound and came to Republic City, embraced her happily when Tenzin allowed her to stay with them. During her Airbending training, Meelo gave Korra advice when she began to struggle, repeating his father's instructions to 'be the leaf'. He was also with the Avatar along with his siblings when Tenzin attempted to teach her how to meditate, although he ended up simply falling asleep.

Anything else you'd like to add?
On the subject of his airbending ability, Meelo has been shown to have learned several different skills, such as levitating himself, being able to use an air glider as well as being able to perform enhanced acrobatics. I believe that he has the spirit of his bending art down pat, as he possesses a very... unrestrained personality and air is often taught as being the element of freedom.

Roleplay Sample:
Meelo laid on his back in bed, staring at the ceiling and trying to fall to sleep. His parents had sent him to bed early for wandering off on his own again for the millionth time, only this time they had sent him up without any supper. It seemed like such an overreaction to him; all he did was follow one of the ring-tailed lemurs so he could play with it. He had a fun time until his dad had turned up and scared the lemurs away with his shouting, going on about how he shouldn't wander off alone.

The young Airbender twisted and turned on his bed, trying to keep his mind off his empty stomach, his gaze passing over the stacks of pictures he had drawn. Some were of sky-bison, others of lemurs, but most were of him and his family flying around together. Another grumble emanated from his stomach and he groaned, flailing about on his bed in frustration. Then an idea struck him.

A toothy grin spread across his small face and he rolled off the messy covers, sprinting towards the door as quietly as he could while avoiding the toys that lay haphazardly on the floor of his room. Carefully opening the door so that it did not squeak, Meelo popped his head out and did a quick check to make sure that no-one was there. Seeing that the way was clear, he slipped out into the hallway and tiptoed his way to the kitchen. On his way, he could hear his father talking about 'Equalists' and training, while the voice of Korra replied, too muffled for him to hear.

Reaching his destination, Meelo hopped up to the cupboards with a small burst of air, clinging to the handles as he tried to open them. After a few moments of struggling he was able to throw the door open, searching for the prize that he was after. Reaching inside, he suddenly heard loud footsteps as someone approached the kitchen. Thinking fast, he pushed himself into the cupboard with another air burst and shut the door behind him. He listened as the person turned on a tap and poured themselves a drink, leaving immediately afterwards. Crawling out of his makeshift hiding place, the boy continued his search, throwing open the cupboard doors until he found what he had been looking for; the cookie jar.

His eyes lighting up, Meelo tore the lid off and tucked in, shoving at least three of the treats into his mouth in one go and chomping happily on them. His stomach appeased for the moment, he held onto the jar and jumped from the counter, softening his landing with Airbending and making his way back upstairs to his room.

Eating his fill of the sweeties, the small Airbender fell back onto his crumb covered bed with a sigh of satisfaction, the empty jar rolling away on the floor. With his hunger assuaged, Meelo felt sleep finally creeping up on him and he closed his eyes. The perfect crime...

"MEELO!"

His father's shout echoed throughout the house, reaching the furthest corners of the building and making Meelo's eyes snap back open.

Oh, lemur poop.

ABOUT YOU
Name: SeeHearSpeak
RP Experience: Five or six years.
This user is a former member

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 3, 2012 12:51:21 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Thanks for your app! As per usual, we'll wait to see if anyone else applies for Meelo and go from there. You need 3/5 staff "stamps" of approval. Good luck!

Everyone else: You're free to submit Meelo apps in this thread too! If you do, good luck!
This user is Mod

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 12, 2012 22:46:13 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
note: since no one else has applied for meelo, we will now begin the approval process!

While I think you can work on tone a little more (it somewhat still reads like an "adult" voice, instead of a "child" voice), I think you have captured the essence of Meelo very well in your RP sample. Your explanations of history and personality are spot on, and I love your reasoning as to why you'd be a good fit for the character. Your roleplaying on the board has been fairly consistent, as well. Therefore:

Remember, you need 3/5 Staff Stamps to be accepted. Good luck!
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 12, 2012 22:47:03 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jun 13, 2012 21:12:44 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 13, 2012 21:12:44 GMT -6

While I have to agree that this doesn't sound like a child's voice, it was very entertaining, and was loyal to the funny, kid that Meelo is. I liked it and believe that you can definitely get that little kid writing down for him

That's two, and now for a third.
This user is a former member
ailin
Jun 13, 2012 22:03:22 GMT -6

Post by ailin on Jun 13, 2012 22:03:22 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Like the others said, I think you have a good understanding of the essence of Meelo's character and your sample overall was right in tune with what he would do. Writing for characters so young isn't easy and I think you'll adapt to it well the more you get the chance to with the character. So, that combined with why you think you'd be right for the character has me say:

This user is a guest

Post by Gia on Jun 13, 2012 22:11:23 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Congrats! You have acquired the part of Meelo! Please send me a PM when you've read this and I'll move it. :)
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 13, 2012 22:21:53 GMT -6